Master of The Free World Productions | Jumpcut Entertainment Network

Barely Related: Star Wars wakes up the Force

This week was full of little geeky goodies. Om nom nom.

Welcome to Barely Related, a conversational Friday column that presents the non-gaming news stories that we, the Joystiq staff, have been talking about over the past week. And no, we’re not…
Joystiq RSS Feed

Star Citizen is now a first-person shooter, too

Star Citizen isn’t just about spaceships anymore. At PAX Australia, developer Cloud Imperium Games showed off the extremely well-crowdfunded game’s first-person shooter module, which lets players fight for glory with handheld armaments (as opposed to…
Joystiq RSS Feed

Make contact with 10 minutes of Star Citizen gameplay footage

Space is big. Very big. The-next-closest-planet-is-more-than-30-million-miles-away-on-a-good-day big. That’s going to give any spacefaring readers out there plenty of downtime, so why not spend 10 minutes of it with Star Citizen gameplay, pulled from…
Joystiq RSS Feed

Darth Revan Returns In The Latest Star Wars: The Old Republic DLC

Shadow of Revan, the latest expansion to Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic, marks the return of the titular nemesis to the MMO. The new DLC focuses on the villain’s efforts to crush the Galactic Republic with his army of Revanites. The content raises the level cap to 60 and includes five new levels of story missions, high-level multiplayer Flashpoints and Operations, and new worlds to explore.

Shadow of Revan releases on December 9 for $ 19.99, but there’s bonus content for people who pre-order the expansion before certain dates. Players who pre-order by November 2 will have access to the expansion one week ahead of its release, in addition to getting a “Grand Statue of Revan” to display in their stongholds, and free access to the previously released Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion.

(Please visit the site to view this media)

If you pre-order before December 1, you get the statue and the free Hutt DLC, but forego early access to Shadow of Revan. In addition, subscribers who pre-order the DLC will receive a class experience boost in the form of a 12x experience modifier when they play through a class story mission up to level 55.

Check out the trailer for the expansion, as well as some new screens in the gallery.

www.GameInformer.com – The Feed

Star Wars Assault Team, Tiny Death Star get bullseye’d like womprats

It seems that Disney has instituted its own version of Order 66 and cleansed the iOS App Store, Google Play Store and Windows Store of free-to-play mobile games Star Wars Assault Team and Tiny Death Star. Both Pocket Gamer and Game Informer report…
Joystiq RSS Feed

Disney yanks Tiny Death Star from app stores without telling devs

The game was still “a significant source of revenue for us” says developer Ian Marsh, whose studio NimbleBit created the game. …


Gamasutra News

Disney Torpedoes Tiny Death Star Without Alerting Developer Nimblebit In Advance

Disney has removed two Star Wars titles from the Apple and Google storefronts after both were in service for less than a year. Both Tiny Death Star (a partnership with Nimblebit) and Star Wars Assault Team are no longer available.

Tiny Death Star was introduced in November 2013 (eleven months ago) and Star Wars Assault team launched at the end of March 2014 (just over six months ago). Disney confirmed to Game Informer that both titles have been removed in order to focus on priority titles like the Clash of Clans-like Star Wars Commander.

Developer Nimblebit, who partnered with Disney on Tiny Death Star has indicated that it was unaware of the move prior to the game disappearing from storefronts. A Disney representative could not confirm whether Nimblebit had been contacted prior to the game’s removal. However, Marsh tells us bluntly that he and his team were not made aware.

"We're very disappointed to see Tiny Death Star shuttered less than a year after launch," Marsh told us via email. "We had no prior knowledge that the game would be removed and no longer even have a contact at Disney after the recent layoffs.  Suffice to say if you're a developer looking to partner with Disney this might not be the partnership you're looking for."

[Source: Pocket Gamer]

 

Our Take
While it’s not uncommon for service-based games to disappear with little notice, Disney’s failure to alert Nimblebit is the wrong message to send to a partner and a warning about how the company views partnership. Then there are the players to consider. Both of these games were free-to-play, which means some users spent money in and just watched that investment (albeit sunk cost) vanish without warning.

www.GameInformer.com – The Feed

Star Citizen hits $55 million, and 280 devs, as funding rolls on

“I sometimes get asked why continue to raise money. Haven’t you already raised enough to make the game? The answer is that Star Citizen isn’t a normal game.” …


Gamasutra News

Peter Dinklage, Jason Sudeikis to star in Angry Birds film

Mobile developer Rovio announced the voice cast for its upcoming Angry Birds animated feature film today, revealing that Horrible Bosses star Jason Sudeikis and Game of Thrones’ Peter Dinklage will play major roles.

Other featured actors include…
Joystiq RSS Feed

Star Citizen earns Guinness world record for crowdfunding efforts

As Star Citizen recently crossed $ 55 million in funding, Roberts Space Industries founder Chris Roberts announced that the game is entering the Guinness Book of World Records “not as the largest crowdfunded game of all time, but as the largest…
Joystiq RSS Feed