Today Take-Two held its quarterly earning call and revealed a 15-percent net revenue growth during the holiday quarter. Take-Two credits much of its success to the continued and "better than expected" performance of Grand Theft Auto V, which has now sold 75 million copies, and the continued DLC support of Grand Theft Auto Online from Rockstar Games. Take-Two says that Rockstar will continue to support GTAO with more content.
The call also revealed interesting numbers for the publisher:
- Mafia III is the publisher's fastest selling game in the first week and has, at the current date, sold-in over 5 million copies altogether.
- Civilization VI is the fastest selling entry in the series and has sold 1.5 million units to date. The sales for the series as a whole have now passed 40 million copies.
- NBA 2K17 has sold nearly 7 million copies.
- The biggest contributors to Take-Two's revenue growth were Grand Theft Auto V/Online, WWE 2K17, NBA 2K17, and Civilization VI.
- Take-Two expects its net revenue to increase from $ 542 million to $ 592 by March 31.
- The publisher plans to support the Nintendo Switch with NBA 2K18 and beyond.
You can find all the talking points from the earnings call right here.
Take-Two's strategy of continuing to support its franchises through DLC support appears to be paying off. Grand Theft Auto V continues to kill it, with fierce sales, which is shocking for a game that's over three years old, thanks to continued support.
It'll be interesting to see if Mafia III's story missions and continued support helps boosts its numbers as well.