A year ago, Take-Two president Karl Slatoff mentioned that Grand Theft Auto V would be receiving add-on story content. After a bit of confusion on today's earning call, it was unclear whether that had changed. While there isn't more information, hope is not yet lost.
During its year-end earnings call, the question of story-based content for Grand Theft Auto V came up from analyst Doug Creutz of the Cowen group. Creutz asked about the story content that had been mentioned approximately a year ago during the fiscal year 2014 earnings call.
“We haven’t discussed any story-based downloadable content,” replied Take-Two chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick. “We did talk about heists. We have different recollections."
We referred back to the transcript from last year's year-end earning call held on May 13, 2014 to confirm Creutz's memory, and found a statement from company president Karl Slatoff.
“In addition, Rockstar Games plans to release more updates throughout the spring, holiday themed event updates and story mode content,” Slatoff said. “We will have more to share about our unannounced fiscal 2015 releases in the coming months.” (Emphasis added)
When reached for comment, Take-Two provided a statement that brings everything back to where we were one year ago. "“Strauss misspoke during today’s call, as over a year ago Rockstar Games had said that they were exploring story mode content for Grand Theft Auto V," Take-Two vice president of corporate communications and public affairs Alan Lewis told us via email. "However, no further information has been released since. As always, we leave it to Rockstar Games to share information about their games when they’re ready.”
Given the casual mention of story content on May 13, 2014, it's no surprise that Zelnick didn't remember what Slatoff said a year ago. The good news is that it got ironed out and that hope for Grand Theft Auto V story content is still alive.