Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune set the world on fire with Mighty No. 9, but his latest crowdfunding venture is problem-plagued. …
Kirby’s first title, Kirby’s Dream Land, hit U.S. shores in August of 1992, since then we’ve had a wild, enemy swallowing ride. In celebration of Kirby’s thirteenth birthday, Nintendo is releasing three classic Kirby’s titles onto the Wii U's virtual console.
The following three Kirby titles will be available on Nintendo’s Wii U eShop on Thursday, July 30.
- Kirby Squeak Squad (Nintendo DS)
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo 64)
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land (Wii)
I’m not a huge Kirby fan, but I know some people who enjoyed Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Wii. Now might be a good time to catch up on your Kirby holes.
Before Super Smash Bros. was released, Nintendo let us know that some modes would be coming post launch. Now, eight months later, you can finally create tournaments.
The update for this is free, but Nintendo is also releasing another set of Mii Fighter costumes for those looking to dress up their custom characters. There are also two new stages available for purchase.
(Please visit the site to view this media)
Peach’s Castle and Hyrule Castle from the original Super Smash Bros. are each priced at $ 1.99 per platform or $ 2.99 for a Wii U and 3DS bundle. You can also purchase them as part of a “Wave 3 bundle” with the following Mii Fighter costumes:
- Hoodie (all types)
- Bear Hat and Suit (Gunner)
- King K. Rool Hat and Outfit (Brawler)
- Flying Man Hat and Outfit (Brawler)
- Chrom Wig and Outfit (Swordfighter)
- Black Knight Helm and Armor (Swordfighter)
- Lloyd Wig and Outfit (Swordfighter)
- Samus’ Helmet and Armor (Gunner)
Each of these cost $ .75 per platform or $ 1.15 for both Wii U and 3DS. There’s also a free K.K. Slider Hat and Outfit, as well as QR codes to add Samus, Chrom, Lloyd lookalike Miis to your roster.
The full Wave 3 bundle that includes the stages and the Mii Fighter costumes costs $ 6 per platform or $ 9.20 for both Wii U and 3DS.
While ZombiU met with mixed reviews at the Wii U’s launch, it was one of the most profound examples of how the Gamepad could be used for new game mechanics. In the original version, players would use the device as both a map and the backpack interface. While rummaging for items, the game didn’t pause, so keeping your wits about you was necessary.
Ubisoft’s Hélène Henry, producer on Zombi (the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC version) explains how the game has been adapted for play without the second screen. “Rummaging in the backpack still doesn’t pause the game. We’ve added a dedicated button to access the backpack, which lets players see their full inventory and assign shortcut keys,” Henry says.
The minimap will appear and fade on screen as necessary, and the sound balancing that made use of the gamepad has been adjusted for surround systems to replicate it as closely as possible. “There has been a slight increase in the field of view,” Henry says, “and players can increase and decrease it a little if they want to, but not so much that it takes away that claustrophobic feeling. Some work was also undertaken on the control mapping and response to improve the look and feel of the first-person movement.”
Two new melee weapons have been added beyond the cricket bat in the original. A shovel will let you hit more than one zombie at a time and a nail bat offers greater damage and critical chance. The flashlight has also been adjusted, so that players can opt for a wider, further shining beam in exchange for battery consumption. You’ll also need to keep it off for a full 30 seconds to recharge, making flashlight usage a more meaningful choice.
The only thing missing in the port is the single-system multiplayer. Without the second-screen available, Ubisoft opted to focus on the single-player mode.
Zombi is due out on August 18 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. For more, you can see the announcement trailer in our coverage from yesterday.
I enjoyed ZombiU mostly for its use of the Gamepad screen. It’s a shame that Nintendo hasn’t been able to capitalize on that feature like it did with the DS and 3DS dual-screens.
Today’s the last day of July, which means two of the currently available Xbox Live Games with Gold titles are going away tomorrow. You’ve still got time to lock-in your licenses for them though, so get a move on.
On Xbox One, you can grab Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. The other Xbox One game, So Many Me, will stick around through the middle of August.
On Xbox 360, Gears of War 3 rotates out of the lineup tomorrow. Don’t worry though, new Xbox One and Xbox 360 games slide onto the service tomorrow morning. You can read up on what to expect here.
After yesterday’s announcement that Fuze stepped in to fund all of Red Ash, Comcept has detailed what backer funds will support. This is, of course, predicated on the campaign recovering its losses from yesterday and raising an additional $ 300,000 in the next three days.
The good news is that with Fuze backing the project, Red Ash will be a full game (instead of only a few of the chapters guaranteed). The stretch goals, funded at the $ 800,000 level, include one post-game dungeon, one additional playable character, and a loosely detailed post-game “village reconstruction” mode.
Comcept is also remaining silent on retailers listing a delay for Mighty No. 9. We’ve reached out to the company and have not yet heard back on the matter.
These stretch goals are very loosely defined, and it took Comcept 25 percent of the remaining campaign time to update with this information. At this point, it doesn’t look like it matters much. Unless an angel backer swoops in, this campaign has little chance of success.
Sega’s first quarter of the current fiscal year is covered in red. The company reports dramatic decreases in sales, with operating and net income both plummeting into negative territory.
Net sales dropped 41.2 percent to ¥52.9 billion ($ 426 million). Operating losses were ¥9.5 billion ($ 76 million), net losses were ¥7.9 billion ($ 63.8 million).
Sega still plans to run operating and net surpluses for the full year ending March 31, 2016. The publisher attributes the losses to decreased demand in Japan for game software, amusement centers, and amusement machines.
Sega is still in the midst of righting the ship after suffering significant sales decreases and staffing cuts in 2015. The company is in the process of moving out of its long-time San Francisco location in favor of offices in southern California.
Yesterday, Sony’s European arm announced plans to let PlayStation Plus members vote on upcoming Instant Game Collection titles. North America will get in on that action, too.
When voting begins, the game with the most support will automatically be added to a future month’s lineup. For the first vote, the titles that aren’t selected will be available at a member discount.
More details, including poll timing, process, and which titles are under consideration will be available soon. We’ll have more details when Vote to Play begins.
This is a clever way to engage with members while teasing future lineups. I suspect this will give Sony a bump on social media as fans debate and lobby for their picks.
Developer Team17 has announced Worms WMD, a turn-based deathmatch
game similar to previous Worms titles. Unlike Worms
Batttleground, however, Team17's newest project allows players to drive vehicles and
enter buildings. Worms WMD also features hand-drawn backgrounds and a new,
cartoon-inspired design on the series' titular worm characters.
Worms WMD arrives on Xbox One and PC in 2016. If you want to
take a closer look at the game, head to Germany. Throughout Gamescom, attendees
can visit Team17's booth to play a brief demo.
Team17 also announced Worms 4, a mobile game slated for
release on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch in August. This handheld experience offers more
than 80 single player missions and one hundred weapon upgrades.
For more details on Worms WMD, check out the screens below.
Don’t Starve is going to get even bigger this fall. Klei is teaming up with Capy to create a new single-player expansion for the survival game, called Shipwrecked.
The add-on, which is coming to PC, Mac, and Linux, brings a host of updates. Included are new playable characters, environments, creatures, and seasons. All of the existing playable characters can take part in the new adventure, too.
(Please visit the site to view this media)
Shipwrecked marks the third major expansion for Don’t Starve. The game was updated first with Reign of Giants and then received multiplayer support with Don’t Starve Together. For more on Don’t Starve, check out our review.